Why do this course?
Market systems development programme support people living in poverty to increase their income, gain employment, and purchase basic goods. The approach can achieve sustainable impact at scale, but faces many practical challenges. For example, what sectors should you work in? Who should you partner with, and how? How can you learn from implementation and adapt your programme?
This DevLearn online training course will introduce the core concepts of market systems developmentand provide simple, practical tips to enable you to implement them in your context. Online training is cost-effective, interactive, and entertainingly delivered through videos, guided exercises, and group discussions. It will take approximately one day of work per week, and can easily be combined alongside a normal working week.
Over two hundred people, including consultants, project managers, donors, and measurement specialists, have taken DevLearn courses and gained practical, effective skills in international development.
During this course, you will:
Learn how to manage interventions adaptively, gathering the most important information in order to help you and other market actors understand whether the intervention is working, and whether to change it.
This interactive and participatory course is delivered entirely online, over four weeks. Participants are expected to spend at least a day a week working on the course.
How to apply ?
How much will the course cost?
- Organisational fee: This varies according to how many people the organisation sends on the training, as below:
- £450 per person with 1-2 people from organisation.
- £400 per person with 3-5 people from organisation.
- £350 per person with 6+ people from organisation.
- Individual fee: £300
These fees do not include VAT, which adds an extra 20%. The next course will be from the 5th - 30th August 2019.
***10% early bird discount before May 15th 2019***
The course consists of 5 components:
- Weekly recorded lectures. Each week you will have access of 2-3 hours of recorded lectures, which introduce the course material in an interesting, accessible way.
- Weekly live seminars. Each week, we will gather for a live seminar (lasting an hour) to share your experiences and learn from other participants and the facilitators.
- Forum discussions. You can ask (and answer) any questions you want in the forum, and get answers from other participants and the course facilitators.
- Assessments. In the first and second week there are assessments, peer-assessed by other course participants and reviewed in the weekly seminars.
- Expert presentations. In order to support ongoing learning, we organise online expert presentations in topics as diverse as women's economic empowerment, value for money, measuring systemic change, and using results for measurement. These take place every two months, and you're welcome to join from the time you do the course.
The course typically takes 1 day per week. It is completely flexible (apart from the live seminars) - you can watch the lectures, participate on the forum, and do the assignments whenever you want.
You will receive a certificate at the end of the course.
Can I do this course if I have a slow internet connection? We have had participants take this course from all over the world, including countries without good internet access. While you do need internet access, it does not need to be a high speed network. If you have previously used skype, whatsapp calls, or webinar software such as webex you should be fine.
Can I do this course if I am on a field trip? Our course timings are very flexible, and if you are on a field trip for a week you can always catch up afterwards. If you are going to be away for most of the month, however, you might struggle to stay on top of the workload.
Do you cater for all timezones? We ask for your timezone in the registration form, to ensure that we can cater to everyone's needs. We run our live seminars several times, to ensure that all participants can join, whatever the timezone. While sometimes you might not be able to join all our expert presentations live, they are all recorded so you could listen later.
Do you have more questions? Email us on email@example.com.